While you are preparing to sell your home and relocate, review the following
checklist to ensure there was nothing you may have overlooked.
Six weeks before the move:
• Begin packing.
• Look into getting moving insurance to protect your valuables
during the move.
• Shop around for quotes if you are going to use a mover.
• If moving yourself, book a rental truck to use.
• Begin to donate or sell all unwanted items.
• Consider change of address notifications. Make a list and
send them soon.
• Get the post office to forward your mail.
• Arrange for the transfer of your phone, cable, electricity,
gas and water.
• Make sure to return any borrowed items such as videos and
• Collect and store all important documents in a fire proof
• Arrange for the transfer of all medical, dental, insurance
and school records.
Four weeks before the move:
• Arrange for your pets and plants to be moved.
• Update drivers’ licenses and car registration. Contact
• Move your fire proof strong box to prevent misplacement during
• Purchase all packing materials needed such as boxes and tape.
• Book a hotel and travel arrangements for the day of the move.
• Start packing rooms that are not in everyday use.
One to Two weeks before the move:
• Give away remainder of items you will not be using.
• Make a careful inventory of expensive items. Take pictures
• Confirm moving date with moving company.
• Arrange the use of the service elevator on the move day (if
• Back up all computer items before packing.
• Arrange child care for moving day if needed.
The moving day:
• Make sure pets are secure.
• Spend all day at the house with the movers.
• Clean the entire house.
• Record all utility readings.
• Ensure that everything that needed to be packed is and all
garbage is disposed.
• Lock up house and hand over the keys.